When it comes to investing in a friction welding machine, one of your top concerns may be minimizing potential downtime and mitigating risk. After all, unexpected disruptions in production can have significant impacts on a company's bottom line.
That's why it's crucial to choose a supplier like MTI that offers exceptional service and support for your friction welder's critical components. By working with a supplier that prioritizes downtime reduction and risk mitigation, you can rest assured that your friction welder will perform to its fullest potential.
The Anatomy of a Friction Welder
Generally, the critical parts of a friction welding machine are considered to be the spindle, chuck, and tooling pieces.
This image is a Hybrid Rotary Friction Welder, capable of operating in both Direct Drive and Inertia.
(1) The spindle, a part of all Rotary friction welding machines, is the piece that provides the necessary rotation in the welding process. The spindle rotates at a high predetermined speed while force is applied. The spindle is also responsible for maintaining pressure and alignment during the welding process.
(2) The spindle chuck is responsible for holding the rotating workpiece. The spindle chuck has jaws or a collet that clamp onto the workpiece to hold it in place - once it is secure, the spindle starts rotating. Like the spindle, the chuck is responsible for maintaining pressure and alignment during the welding process.
(3) The fixture and tooling are the components that directly hold and position the non-rotating workpiece to be joined. Fixtures are specially designed for the parts they will be holding and are responsible for proper alignment of each workpiece including proper position and angle, which is crucial to achieve a strong weld.
Now that you know what each critical component does - let's talk about the process for getting spare parts.
Reducing Downtime & Mitigating Risk with MTI
When it comes to protecting your friction welder, having spare parts on-hand may not always be possible. But, having a plan in place for spare parts and emergencies is always a smart idea to mitigate long lead times for critical components and reduce potential machine downtime. Unfortunately, lead times for replacement spindles, chucks, and tooling components are just under one year, on average. So, how can MTI help?
Rather than replacing critical parts with potentially long lead times and incurring additional costs, consider opting into MTI’s Rebuild Program. We can rebuild your critical parts to like-new condition in just a few weeks! In the rebuild program, MTI can work on your timeline, allowing you to schedule regular maintenance during expected machine downtime minimizing lost productivity. For example, think of the spindle like the engine of a car: it needs regular maintenance to ensure good health and extend equipment life. It's recommended that spindles are refurbished annually. By following this advice, your spindle's life can be extended indefinitely.
Unlike spindles, chucks and tooling fixtures are part contact components meaning that they experience more wear than a spindle and generally are better off being replaced as needed. However, if your friction welder has a mechanical chuck, it can and should be rebuilt regularly. Whether you need a replacement part or rebuild, MTI provides complete solutions for both. Reach out to us to get your plan in place.
Plus, while your friction welder is down for your scheduled rebuild or replacement, MTI's Manufacturing Services can provide production support to keep your goals met. And when you schedule in advance, MTI can order parts ahead of time reducing the lead times for certain items.
So, why should you choose MTI for your spare parts?
Your Trusted OEM Partner
As an original equipment manufacturer (OEM), we strongly recommend coming to MTI for your spare parts rather than a third-party vendor. As an OEM, here are some things you can expect from MTI:
- The right parts for your machine's specifications
- Official OEM replacements
- Direct replacements for obsolete items
- Access to experienced MTI engineers and technicians
- Installation and programming support
In addition to the benefits of working with an OEM, MTI also offers multiple solutions for service and spare parts made with our customers in mind.
Going for the Bronze, Silver, and Gold
If you're ready to invest in a comprehensive service and spare parts package, good news! MTI's Preventative Maintenance Package (PMP) offers discounts for spare parts, service rates, and more while the package is active.
The PMP has 3 levels: (1) bronze, (2) silver, and (3) gold. Here's a quick glance at what each level offers:
For more information about MTI's PMP, check out our brochure.
As a short-term solution, we also offer a Machine Performance Package (MPP) which is a thorough, one-day inspection made to work conveniently around your schedule. The MPP is fully customizable - you choose as little or as much as you want, as frequently or infrequently as you want it.
Let's Get Started
Curious about these and our other service and spare parts offerings? Follow this link to view them all! Want to learn more about Friction Welding? We have plenty of resources to help! Contact our service team today to get your machine backed by MTI.
* The FWT product line of friction welders are completely backed by MTI's service team and spare parts.