It’s a common problem that engineers and designers face nearly every day – how to join two separate components into a single part. This problem becomes more complex if the components are each made of a different material or have unique geometries at the joint interface. So, how do you join two parts into one?
The first step in answering that question is to know what options exist. MTI helps you look at the situation, determine how Friction Welding can be applied, and then navigate the path to successfully implementing Friction Welding into your part design and ultimately into your production.
For some, this may mean designing and building a Friction Welding machine that makes the final part. For others, the best solution is for MTI to step in and make the final parts for you – saving you time and money.
MTI’s Manufacturing Services provides you access to world-class Friction Welding machines and welding process know-how in an affordable, single-source solution. By offering customers access to knowledge, Friction Welding capacity, and locations in the United States, United Kingdom, and India, we can ensure that you get the best value for your investment, and get the parts you need delivered when you need them.
As your partner, we start by asking the right questions and listening closely. What are you trying to accomplish? What alloys are you using? Is this a new part design or an improvement to an existing part? What are the details of the weld interface? What post-weld processing will happen to the part? What is the volume of parts you may need? For production, is your own friction welder the right path or does it make sense to outsource the joining of your part, thus letting you spend resources and time elsewhere?
MTI’s Manufacturing Services can assist you in research and development of parts, feasibility studies, optimizing manufacturing processes, developing the parts and testing the parts. All of which, allow you the opportunity to take advantage of one of the world’s largest, most-experienced Friction Welding machine builders to produce friction-welded parts of all sizes and volumes on your timeline and budget.
When and how would Friction Welding from MTI’s Manufacturing Services work for me?
Only MTI offers all three types of RFW: Inertia, Direct Drive, and Hybrid. Useful for:
- A consistent, machine-controlled processes
- Minimal joint preparation at the weld interface
- Forged-quality joints with a 100% solid state bond
- Only one piece needs to be symmetrical, such as tube or bar
- Custom applications, including joining dissimilar materials
- All of the benefits of traditional friction welding and more!
- Faster cycle times
- Improved flash morphology
- Expanded part capabilities
A perfect solution for:
- Welding a variety of complex part geometries
- Multiple pieces can be bonded simultaneously
- Bonding pieces to “near net shape" eliminates machining parts from solid blocks
- Total scalability and customization for any size weld
- Dissimilar metals may be joined, decreasing overall part cost and increasing part design flexibility
- Joining sheet, panel, and metal extrusion parts
- Creating larger sheets, plates, or extrusions out of smaller components
- Limitless panel length and width
- Virtually defect-free bonding
- Superior mechanical characteristics with minimal distortion of joined parts
Want to learn more?
Let's talk! We're ready to create a solution for you.